Sunday, January 22, 2017

2016: Discovering New-to-me Authors


There are always those books that stay with you for various reasons even long after you've read it. They tend to be the ones I mark with 5 stars. 


In 2016, I discovered some 'new-to-me' authors, who I plan on reading more from. 

Tessa Dare 
Dare's Spindle Cove series is a fun historical romance series. Spindle Cove is known as Spinster's Cove - a refuge for women who don't fit in society and are unusual. There's choas and hilarity as the world of the ladies and the new militia merge together.
  • A Night to Surrender (#1)
  • Once Upon a Winter's Eve (#1.5)
  • A Week to Be Wicked #(#2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (#3)




Susan Elia MacNeal
The Maggie Hope Mystery series follows Maggie Hope who is a secretary for Winston Churchill. I've only listened to the first one and enjoyed it immensely. Maggie is a spit fire in war torn London and I want to see what she does next for her country.
  • Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope Mystery, #1)






Jeaniene Frost
I was on the fence about this one initially but the dry humour did win me over. Cat is a half vampire and she makes it her mission to rid the world of vampires. Vampire bounty hunter Bones enters her life and they form an unlikely partnership.
  • Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
  • Reckoning (Night Huntress, #0.5)





Carrie Vaughn
I met Carrie Vaughn at WorldCon in 2010. It's taken me this long to get to the book I got her to sign! And it really is a great book. Kitty has spunk but also it's interesting to see the pack dynamics from such a low member of it. Great premise of having a DJ coming out on a radio show that she's a werewolf and a talk show is about this and other paranormal things. Most think it's a publicity stunt but those who know the truth have now got a place to get advice.
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)



Divergent audio cover
Veronica Roth
I've seen the first two movies and thought I'd like to see where they came from. A teen who's gutsy but is also scared witless with life. The way she deals with things is a combination of her upbringing and her wanting to break free from this upbringing. At heart she is a good person who must hide what she is if she's to survive.
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)




Aaron Blabey
I discovered The Bad Guys series via an 8 year old. This is a fabulous children's book series about a group of misunderstood 'bad guys' - a wolf, shark, piranha, snake. Seriously hilarious. Text and images work hand in hand to tickle the funny bone.
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 1
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 2 Mission Unpluckable
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 3: The Furball Strikes Again




I love discovering new authors but my To Read pile is groaning at the addition of more titles. :)


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Welcome to my reading blog!!