Monday, July 2, 2012

Finally some reads...






While my reading hasn't been at high speed, I at least have achieved something in the last few months. And have started with unabridged audio books - this helps with the long ride to campus two nights a week. And helps me feel connected with reading.

I notice when I don't get time to read I get really bummed out and that's not good for the psyche. So I try to read something even if it's only a few pages a day. Slow going but it helps. I know there is no way I will reached my goals that I set at the beginning of the year. I didn't expect the study load to be so intense, but then again, I didn't expect that I would be doing 4 subjects.


A quick review of the books....


Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh
Two worlds collide in this book - the first in a series. The world is divided between the Psy, who are controlled and without emotion, and the Changelings, who are very emotional and not always in control. Sascha is hiding behind her psy facade and believes she is going mad as she does feel, but she can't let her leader mother know, and so she works with Lucas, a Changeling over a housing project. This is when she finds out about murders of Changelings. Intiguing read - thoroughly enjoyed - it just got better and better.


Secret Ones by Nicole Murphy
Love the invention of a new race on earth - the Gadda. Found what they could do with the power interesting. On to book 2, me thinks.

Moonlight Becomes You by Mary Higgins Clark
I reread this book having read it when i first got it in the 1990s. I remembered only one aspect of the book, but not who or why. So it was a pleasant read. As a teenager I read as many Mary Higgins Clark books as I could get my hands on, and it had been a long while.



The Liar by Stephen Fry
I heard this on audio book and I laughed, gasped, and enjoyed the reading by Stephen Fry. Excellent stuff. I was a little confused at the first jump - the story goes from the main character being at public school in the UK - to being at University in the UK. There was also an intriguing mystery happening where the characters are not named by name but by what they are wearing - eg The tweet suit. I didn't know what was going on half the time with these passages but by the end it's all clear.


You Had Me At Halo by Amanda Ashby
Loved it! Funny, quirky, witty and totally absorbing. You want to know the mystery of why Holly found herself in heaven with no memory of how she got there. Thoroughly enjoyed.


The Keepers by Heather Graham
This is book 1 of The Keeper trilogy. The supernatural world is set into sub-groups and each of these subgroups, there is a Keeper. In New Orleans, it's the MacDonald sisters. This book concentrates on Fiona, the Keeper of the vampires, who must work with vampire police detective, Jagger, to get the bottom of murders that appear to be done by a vampire. Some pretty nifty world-building and mystery.


The Shifters by Alexandra Sokoloff
The second book on The Keepers trilogy. Alexandra continues the great mystery, world-building, and tackles the most prickly of the three sisters - Caitlin. One thing I think was different was referring to the supernatural communities as Others. Great story.


Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
I heard this on audio and did enjoy the tale. I did think it moved slow and there was something about Tessa I couldn't connect with at the beginning. SI enjoyed the other characters more especially the Shadow Hunters. Set in Victorian England, American Tessa Gray comes into the unseen world of the Shadow Hunters.



Enchanted Realms by Eleni Konstantine
Yes, I'm putting my own work in there. I had to do the final edits and my editor helped me think about things and that was a good thing. Enjoyed working with her on it.











No comments:

Welcome to my reading blog!!